Whether you want to relocate for work, downsize, or get more living space, there’s a few things you’ll need to do before taking the next step and hiring a REALTOR®. The following quick tips will have you on your way into your new home in no time!
Check the mortgage.
Before contacting a REALTOR, the first step to selling your house is to have a rough idea of what is owed on your mortgage. Pull your loan documents and most recent mortgage statement in order to estimate your payoff amount. This will help you when the discussion turns to pricing your home.
Preparing your house before a visit from a REALTOR will help them see the full potential of your home and allow them to better strategize how to market the property. Here are a few ways to get started with your decluttering:
- Pack up and put away out-of-season clothing and shoes to show more available space in closets or storage areas.
- Remove personal items (family photos especially) to help potential buyers imagine themselves in your space.
- Clear off the refrigerator. A cluster of alphabet magnets, postcards and receipts can ruin the perception of an organized and peaceful home.
- Move out excess furniture. More space allows people to imagine varied possibilities for the home.
- Go ahead and start with the nitty-gritty spring cleaning tasks. Dust those hard-to-reach spots including ceiling fans and blinds and start scrubbing baseboards and the trim around your doors and door handles.
Hold off on making improvements.
Wait until you have established a working relationship with a REALTOR to ask for suggestions on improvements that would benefit your home selling process. Repair and construction costs do not always translate to a greater sales price. A few tasks are generally safe to start, including prepping your lawn and refreshing flowerbeds, power washing and touching up neutral paint colors.
Check your schedules.
Work schedules may need to be changed slightly to accommodate showings. If a pet lives in the house, sellers should be prepared to place the animal with a friend or neighbor for the day, especially during open houses.
Search for the right REALTOR®.
Don’t just hire the first real estate agent to appear in your Google search. Take the time to do your research and find a REALTOR that suits your needs. If you are looking to discuss potentially listing your home, connect with a Baldwin REALTOR® today!
Are you hesitant to hire a REALTOR? Read up on our Top 7 Reasons to Use a REALTOR® When Selling Your Home.